Tuesday 23 July 2013

Free writing

I used to live in a golden tower
Where the windows were painted with masterpieces
And I'd heard of those fighting and dying outside.
I'd proclaim my support, safe from my tower
As I lived without fear, without want, without knowing.

Then my tower crumbled.

And I was living on the battlefield
And I had never known so much fear and pain in my life
The constant screams, the death of comrades.
I knew it was unfair to those who had been here

in this hell

While I had been safe in my tower
But every death burned like the first
And every night spent shivering in the cold drew forth anger
As I listened to the proclamations of "equality"
From the allies sleeping warm in their towers above.
And though the battle wounded told me it had been harder for them(and it had)
I found no strength in that.
All I saw was the continuation of the war,
The battle raged on, and I am left shaking from shellshock
My scars still bleed
While your stripped skin fills me with guilt.
That once I had lived in that tower
And sent no aid.

But I promise you this.
I will live in a tower again
A tower built on the battles of old
And I will not go until every soldier
Those old and wounded
Those too young yet to fight
Will live among the clouds with me.

And though those living in towers will cry out
And bring down many towers
In the name of equality,
No difference.
No change.
We will prevail
And gain what is rightfully ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment